Friday, January 05, 2007

A Rooting Interest

I haven’t paid that much attention to the National Football League for the last couple of weeks. I failed to make the playoffs in my fantasy football league after winning it all last year, somewhat like the Pittsburgh Steelers, and with no hometown team to root for, my interest in the sport has waned. But now the fantasy season is over and it’s playoff time in the real world so I’m planning to tune in again this weekend. But rather than give you my picks of who I think will win, which might be used against me in the future, I’m going to tell you who I’m rooting for. Unfortunately, given how the Lakers and Dodgers have performed in recent years, that might not be such a good thing for the teams I’ll be cheering for.

Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts

This is a tough game for me. I like both of the head coaches, Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards. I also like the Colts’ star wide receiver Marvin Harrison and Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez. These guys have been the best at their respective positions for years but carry themselves with a quiet confidence rather than any loud arrogance. I’m not a big fan of Peyton Manning. Sure he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the game, but I’m tired of seeing him in all those commercials and it bothers me how everyone seems to overlook the fact that he often fails to deliver in big games. But I’m also getting tired of hearing about Manning and Dungy never winning it all. So I guess I’ll be rooting for the Colts, just not very enthusiastically.

Dallas Cowboys at Seattle Seahawks
This game is probably the easiest for me to pick sides. I’m a big fan of Shaun Alexander, Seattle’s star running back, since he was the MVP of my fantasy football team last year. I’ve also been a Mike Holmgren fan from when he was the head coach for the Green Bay Packers as I was one of many that jumped on that band wagon. While he might not have managed the clock well in last year’s Super Bowl, I still think the biggest reason the Seahawks lost was because of bad officiating so I think the league owes them.

As for the Cowboys, they’ve won enough in the past. The Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls with the most recent in 1996. I’ve also disliked Terrell Owens since he was a 49er. He’s just such an egomaniac. And while I respect Bill Parcells as a great coach, he’s always seemed like a bit of a jerk whenever I’ve seen him during a press conference. Finally, I’ve really gotten tired of the Tony Romo hype machine. While the hype has died down since he’s struggled in the last few weeks, if the Cowboys win, I know the machine would just get revved up again and none of us want that, do we.

New York Jets at New England Patriots
This game is also a little tough. My friend Johnny Ringo is a longtime Patriots fan while my other friend Heavy Hitter is a Jets fan. What makes the choice easier is all the success that the Pats have had in last five years. Three Super Bowl victories are more than enough. I’ve also gotten sick of hearing about how great Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are. There hasn’t been as much talk about them this year since the team hasn’t been as dominant as it has in the past and I’d like to keep it that way.

New York Giants at Philadelphia

As much as I dislike Peyton Manning, I find his brother Eli even more annoying. It all dates back to when he was drafted by the San Diego Chargers and whined and was able to get himself traded to New York. It’d be so funny if the Giants got eliminated in the first week of the playoffs and the Chargers, who have a bye this week, went on to win the Super Bowl. I also can’t stand Jeremy Shockey. As you can probably tell by now I’m not a big fan of arrogant players. I forgive Kobe Bryant because he plays for the Los Angeles Lakers and he’s actually won something.

I would also find it very amusing if the Eagles proved the Sports Guy’s Ewing Theory and somehow were able to win the Super Bowl without Donovan McNabb. It would be even more amusing if the Eagles ended up facing the Cowboys in the NFC championship game and Jeff Garcia was able to knock Terrell Owens out of the playoffs after all the taunts directed by Owens at Garcia.

So that’s who I’m rooting for this weekend. Again, I’m not saying you should put any money on the teams I’ll be supporting. In fact, it would probably be a better idea for you to put money on the opposing teams. I’ll chime in again to jinx a few more teams next week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

I enjoyed reading about the Romo gaffe that cost the Cowboys the game against the Eagles. The next day on ESPN Joe Theismann made a bunch of excuses for Romo about how the NFL is using a new ball that's slick or something. Please, you don't get to make excuses when you blow something like that. If you follow ESPN enough you see just how totally unrelated to real journalism sports "journalism" is. You really might as well just read blogs because it's all just people saying whatever the hell they feel like, whether it's the Pocho or Dan Patrick.

4:04 AM  
Blogger The Pocho said...

You should try to see the clip of the Romo gaffe if you can. It's even more fun than reading about it.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home