Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Once and Future Piston

Last week when I first heard that the Philadelphia 76ers planned to buy out Chris Webber’s contract, I was mildly intrigued. I remember back in his Sacramento days, there was talk about how much Webber wanted to play in Los Angeles with Shaquille O’Neal. So I couldn’t help wondering if, after clearing waivers and became a free agent, Webber would be interested in playing for the Los Angeles Lakers even though Shaq was long gone.

A day later I learned that the Lakers were one of the handful of teams that Webber was considering playing for. I was pleased and actually did a little fist pump. I knew that Webber wasn’t the same player he was four years ago, but given how thin the Lakers are in their front court thanks to injury, I couldn’t help thinking that he would be a good boost for the team.

My excitement didn’t last long. The very next day I read on Yahoo! Sports that Webber was headed to Detroit. But I saw in the LA Times that Webber was in contact with the Lakers so I still thought there was a chance that the Lakers would get him. On Monday, Webber made his decision and even attended a Detroit Pistons game.

I was a bit disappointed but also a bit relieved. When dealing with Chris Webber, you’re not just dealing with physical frailties; you’re dealing with emotional ones as well. It's bad enough that he seems to be playing on only one leg after having microfracture surgery on his left knee three and a half years ago. What makes things worse is that it’s not quite clear if he’s come to grips with that.

Apparently part of the reason that Webber chose the Pistons is that after having a conversation with Laker’s head coach Phil Jackson, he wasn’t assured that he would be given a starting spot. It says a lot about Webber that he wasn’t confident enough in himself to think he could beat out players like Kwame Brown, Andrew Bynum, Brian Cook, Ronny Turiaf, or Vladimir Radmanovic on his own without a promise from Jackson.

It really is a shame. I’ve always had a soft spot for Webber since he was one of the cornerstones of my first fantasy basketball team back in 2000. I even contemplated buying a Webber jersey after my fantasy team won the league. When Webber underperformed or declined to take clutch shots against the Lakers in the playoffs, I would actually try to defend him. I would have enjoyed seeing him in purple and gold even if only for one season. Instead the Lakers are stuck with playing Brian Cook at the power forward position until Lamar Odom gets back. That might not be such a bad thing. If he keeps getting 25 points and 10 rebounds like he did on Sunday against the Miami Heat, I’ll continue to remember Webber more for that timeout he took in the NCAA championship game than for the couple of days he flirted with becoming a Laker.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

C-Webb is an idiot, and he proved it once again by signing with the Pistons. The Pistons are nowhere close to winning a title and adding his sorry ass is certainly not going to change anything. The going home stuff is all very sweet but realistically, aren't these guys paid enough (and are on the road enough) that where they spend the regular season is largely irrelevant? Besides, going home worked out so well for a similarly sulky, overrated "superstar," Starbury. It's good he didn't sign with the Mavs or Lakers, we wouldn't want him to do anything to affect his status as a fumbly loser. This was his chance, like Zo last year, to punch his ring ticket. Unlike Zo, he can't even sell out right.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home