Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Getting Lost

Tomorrow morning I will be heading to Hawaii for a little vacation. Even though I’ve lived most of my life on the West Coast, this will my first trip there. I plan to stay four days in Oahu and four days on the Big Island. I can’t wait to lay out on the beaches, go snorkeling, see a luau, and visit all the sights. I’m also excited about being at the location where Lost, ABC’s award-winning drama, is filmed.

Before I go any further, I do want to offer a little spoiler alert. If you haven’t watched through last week’s season premiere of Lost, you probably shouldn’t read any further. I first checked out the show back in season one. I resisted the hype for a while, but eventually I gave in and watched a couple of episodes. I didn’t get hooked. Part of the problem is that I didn’t know the characters. I also felt I had been down the road before with supernatural shows like Twin Peaks and The X-Files. I hated the way both of those shows ended and I didn’t want to get sucked in again. I also felt the show didn’t make much sense and got the feeling that the writers were making things up as they went along without a vision of where the show was to go.

But then a funny thing happened. I started dating a girl that loved the show. The Not-A-Pocha (T-Nap for short) convinced me to give Lost another shot. It didn’t hurt that the Sports Guy was raving about how great the third season finale was. T-Nap had season one on DVD and we started to watch it. Her dvd player was in her bedroom so it also gave me a nice excuse for lying in her bed.

After watching the first season, I got reeled in. Despite my qualms about the show, there is no denying that it is really suspenseful. The writing and acting is also top notch. I also love the diversity of the cast, even if the two Latinos weren’t necessarily role model figures, one being an obese, mentally unstable lottery winner and the other being a cop turned vengeful vigilante.

But I don’t think I’ll ever love the show as much as T-Nap does. I still get a sense that the writers are pulling stuff out of nowhere. It doesn’t help when story lines are dropped. For example, what was the point of showing that Libby was in the mental hospital with Hurley if the writers were only going to kill her off a few episodes later. Also whatever happened to Michael and Walt. Although I guess Walt’s brief appearance at the end of season three suggests we will see more of them eventually.

It also drives me crazy when the characters act stupid on the show, recent examples being when no one bothered checking to see if Mikhail or Naomi were really dead. Speaking of dead, it also bothers me how many cast members have died. When so many characters die (Boone, Shannon, Ana Lucia, Libby, Mr. Eko) it takes away from the shock when the next character dies. I was bothered by the fact that Charlie’s death didn’t really impact me as much as I think it would have if those other characters hadn't gotten killed off.

Nevertheless, I still do enjoy the show and I’m very upset that this season may only last eight episodes because of the writer’s strike. But I am excited about the Hawaii trip and seeing locations in person on Oahu that I’ve only seen on television. I just hope that my flight doesn’t pull a Lost on the way there or on the way back. While I’m looking forward to seeing the beaches, lush jungles, and green hills, I’d rather not see any killer polar bears, Others, or smoke monsters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home