Monday, February 18, 2008

All-Star Thoughts

Just wanted to share a few thoughts on this weekend’s NBA All-Star festivities.

Celebrity Game
I was in the Maui airport for a layover on the way back to the mainland during the game. I watched some of it in an airport restaurant. I didn’t pay too much attention to it. My only real impression is that Gabrielle Union, the coach for one of the two teams, is pretty hot. Alyssa Milano was the coach for the other team. I used to have a huge crush on her until I heard she used to date Brad Penny, the overweight All-Star pitcher for the Dodgers. That soured me on Milano a bit. Same thing happened with Eliza Dushku.

Rookie Challenge
Also missed this one due to by travel plans. As much as I enjoy watching the game every year and was looking forward to seeing Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, and Jordan Farmar, I think I made the right decision in choosing Hawaii over the game. I did hear about the game and looked at box score and it was nice to see Farmar ended up with 17 points and 12 assists. Who knows, maybe one day he’ll play in the actual All-Star game along with the Laker’s young center Andrew Bynum.

Shooting Stars
Not much to say. The San Antonio team won. It was amusing to see David Robinson out there with the other “legends” Bill Laimbeer, Eddie Johnson, and B.J. Armstrong. Also don’t know how Chris Duhon ended up representing Chicago when Detroit, Phoenix, and San Antonio sent all-stars Chauncey Billups, Amare Stoudamire, and Tim Duncan.

Skills Challenge

I don’t know why but I got a kick out of the two finalists, Chris Paul and Deron Williams, being on my fantasy team. It was a shame that Williams, who won the competition, was not in the real game, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.

3-Point Shootout

It always surprises me how entertaining this event can be. Sometimes it’s even more exciting than the dunk contest because of the clock and the absence of judging. Jason Kapono was very impressive in defending his title and tying the record for most points in this competition.

Slam Dunk Contest

First of all, I want to say that Dwight Howard was amazing. I absolutely loved his first dunk when he threw the ball behind the backboard and dunked with his head behind the backboard. I also loved his first dunk of the final round in which he threw the ball while in the air off the backboard with his left hand and caught the ball with his right and powered it through the rim. However I had a couple of issues with the Superman dunk. While I thought it was creative, it wasn’t a real dunk. He threw the ball through the rim a foot or two away and his hand never touched the rim. For me, a dunk has to involve the player touching the rim, usually with his hand, although for Vince Carter it can be the player’s elbow. My other problem is that Shaq is the real Superman. It’s too soon for Howard to try to take that nickname. I also agreed with Dr. J that Gerald Green didn’t get enough credit for his socks dunk and I was really impressed with his birthday cake dunk in which he blew out a candle while dunking. He probably should have saved that one for the final round.

57th NBA All-Star Game

When I learned that the NBA would force Kobe Bryant to play in the All-Star game despite Kobe’s injured finger, I was somewhat upset. But upon further reflection, it was the right decision. The game is meant to be for the fans. The fans voted for Kobe to be in the game and if he’s healthy enough to play for the Lakers, he’s healthy enough to start for the All-Star team. The game was somewhat boring since the East was in control for much of the game. It didn’t help that the uniforms made it hard to tell the teams apart. My girlfriend T-Nap mentioned that it looked like there were three teams out there, a blue, red, and white team. The end of the game was really exciting and I thought Ray Allen deserved the MVP award for stopping the West’s run although LeBron James did have a hell of a game.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home