Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Thank You Number 4

Brett Favre announced yesterday that he would be retiring. And while I think it was the right decision I couldn't help feeling a little bit sad.

The reason is that Favre made me care about professional football. I wasn't much of a sports fan growing up. When I first started becoming interested in sports in junior high, most of my attention was directed at the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Dodgers. After all, both teams won championships in 1988.

Sure, the Raiders had won a championship in 1983 but I didn't really remember it. One of my closest friends was a huge Los Angeles Rams fan, but they never won anything. That's not to say I didn't like football. I often used to play a little touch football during lunch breaks with some of my friends. But I can't remember ever watching an NFL game on TV. Of course, my interest in the NFL didn't grow when the Raiders and Rams both moved out of LA.

But all that changed when I watched Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. I found a reason to watch games. I started watching because I loved seeing all the passion and determination that Favre played with.

I got a kick when he pretended to keep the ball after a handoff and oversold a fake throw, when he talked smack after getting sacked, when he jumped in the air and raised his finger. He really seemed to enjoy playing the game and that appreciation somehow rubbed off on me and made me appreciate the game more.

But it wasn't just about his passion. All that passion would have meant nothing if Favre didn't win games. Favre not only won games, he took his team to two Super Bowls, winning one of them. Sure he sometimes took too many gambles, but that just added to his aura.

Then there was his "aw shucks" demeanor off the field. Maybe it was all just an act, but Favre really did seem like the down to earth guy next door that you could have a beer with while watching the game instead of some prima donna. His cameo in "There's Something About Mary" may never be topped by any other athlete.

So while it's nice to see Favre leave the game while he is still playing at a Pro Bowl level and wearing a Packers uniform unlike so many other great players that stay too long (see Jerry Rice), I know I'm going to miss him come fall when I see a Packers box score and can't find Favre anywhere. But I appreciate all the fond memories of watching him play and for that I simply want to say: "Thanks!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home