Monday, March 17, 2008

TGIF, Not!

I love Fridays, especially when I’m employed. Who doesn’t love the end of the workweek and the beginning of the weekend? Unfortunately last Friday turned out to be a miserable day for me.

I was finishing up my eight hours at work and I wanted to listen to the game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the New Orleans Hornets. Since I had never listened to a game at work my first impulse was to listen to am570radio.com. The pre-game show was broadcasting when all of a sudden the station started playing music after a really long commercial break. My co-worker looked at me and asked what the hell was going on. Then we realized that the radio station probably wasn't allowed to broadcast the game online. So we desperately tried to find another way to listen online. Eventually we figured out we had to register on Nba.com for their All Access Pass.

After I registered I was content to hear that the Lakers were leading 14 to 7. Derek Fisher bricked a few shots and I asked my co-worker, why is Derek shooting so much? After listening a little longer my next thought was, why isn't Pau touching the ball?

Then Spero Dedes, who does play-by-play for the Lakers on the radio, uttered those words that sent my day into a tailspin: “We're still waiting to hear word on Pau's ankle sprain.” I was crushed. It was so perfect. During the registration process I was asked who my favorite player was. I initially selected Kobe, but on second thought I chose Pau and now it seemed the Basketball Gods were punishing me.

After wondering how long Pau would be out and how far down the Lakers would fall in the standings, my next thought was: how would my fantasy basketball team fair. Usually I don’t like having my favorite player on my favorite team on my fantasy basketball team because as Bill Simmons once described, when that player gets hurt, you feel it three times over. In my defense, when I took Pau with my first pick, he was a Memphis Grizzly. Of course, that little fact didn’t take away the sting and I’m in serious doubt about whether I’ll be able to maintain my slim 2.5 point lead.

There was one other ramification that Bill Simmons didn’t discuss about losing your favorite player on your favorite team, the impact on a fan’s video gaming. After the Gasol trade, I went out and purchased NBA 2K8 for the PS3. How could I not, I was so giddy about the thought of playing with Kobe, Pau, Lamar, and Andrew Bynum. It was so sweet to play the game and just throw it into the post with Pau and know he could make it from anywhere in the paint. Since I started playing, Pau has regularly been the leading scorer for me. Now I can’t play the game without being reminded that Pau is hurt and the Lakers are in trouble.

So that’s why I wasn’t thanking God it was Friday last week. The misery continued on Sunday as the Lakers went down to the Houston Rockets and dropped the Lakers out of first place in the West and possibly Kobe out of the MVP race. For now I’ll just hope that Pau is back in two weeks and next Friday, when Pau should be back, I can once again think TGIF.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home